RE: Passive FTP

From: Roberto Alcantara (
Date: 06/01/05

    Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 08:31:46 -0300 (BRT)

    Thank you of your and all others answers.

    I will look more about proftp and vftp config to see about IP range to
    passive mode.

    Best regards,
           Roberto Alcântara

    On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 wrote:

    > It will depend on if your firewall does stateful inspection or not and
    > how it handles FTP in general. FW1, Gauntlet, Sidewinder and Cyberguard
    > all inspect the FTP traffic and are able to recognise the outgoing data
    > connection from the client to the server - therefore, the only rule you
    > need to add is the one to allow the client to go outbound to the server
    > on 21. I'm unsure about devices such as Pix.
    > FWIW, I've found most devices actually handle passive better than they
    > do active....
    > Cheers
    > Tim

       Roberto Alcantara Filho          e-mail:
       Técnico de CPD , FORTALNET       url:
       Provedor de Acesso à Internet    fone/fax:      (+55) 85 4005 8000

    • RE: FTP Client issues
      ... when I use FileZilla or smartFTP, ... 227 Entering Passive Mode. ... > after logging on the FTP server: ... > | Thread-Topic: FTP Client issues ...
    • Re: FTP on IIS6.0 Not Working
      ... can you login via ftp.exe to your IIS server? ... >From a remote machine using ftp.exe I can login and it accepts my password. ... (that's without passive mode checked...with passive mode checked it just ... server seem to indicate that I successfully logged in to ftp, ...
    • Odd ftpd Problem
      ... My ftpd server fails when requesting passive mode from an internet client, ... I have a separate multi-homed server for the network firewall. ... except for the ftp passive mode. ...
    • Re: FTP server behind a PF firewall (including NAT)
      ... > Thank you, but I have a working PF configuration for FTP clients, both ... > for active and passive mode. ... > this firewall) that allows both active mode and passive mode clients. ... > Active-mode transfers are the easiest (again, allow connections to all ...
    • Re: Is ok?
      ... >>but using ftp was not successful, UNTIL i turned passive mode on, then it ... 220-Welcome to the SunSolve Online FTP server. ... 220-Contract customers should use the following 2-tier login procedure: ... 250 CWD command successful. ...