Re: user name from security logs

mike_at_genxweb.net
Date: 05/31/05

Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 09:14:50 -0400 (EDT)
To: "Dave Patterson" <sdpatt2@gmail.com>

Sorry if this has been mentioned already but based on:

>> here's my question: Is there anyway to change the admin password
>> and/or get the machine's control back? If not, Do i have to backup
>> and reinstall linux on every box?

Why don't you just reboot into singal user mode and change the password
that way?

Mod if this has been mentioned already please remove this post.

>> here's my question: Is there anyway to change the admin password
>> and/or get the machine's control back? If not, Do i have to backup
>> and reinstall linux on every box?
>>
> You need to redefine your root.
> hit shift at the boot prompt and enter
> boot: Linux init=/bin/sh
> then do:
> # mount -n -t remount,rw /
> # mount -avt nonfs,noproc,nosmbfs
> # cd /etc
> # vi passwd
> # vi shadow
>
> if the second data field in /etc/passwd is x,
> then you need to edit the second data field in the passwd file so that
> it becomes empty. Then you can reboot and login to root without a
> password.
> --
> Regards, Dave
> Dare to be naive.
> -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Root is GONE
    ... overwrite the passwd file with the missing line. ... upon reboot now i have su back but no passwd. ... is the command "passwd root" ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: [opensuse] BIOS/GRUB Problem
    ... Crtl-Alt-F2) 2-login as root ... You'll have to force a reboot, power switch if you have no reset ... accomplished using the reboot command, or the shutdown command, ... and bring up the GDM/KDM/XDM login screen. ...
    (SuSE)
  • How to have a late night heart attack...
    ... moving my "send an email" shell script over to ... Tried to control the machine via ARD. ... The only damn way onto this machine is SSH as root. ... Reboot again, finally everything behaving. ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • fsck Fails On Reboot After Partially Completed Testing Upgrade
    ... Checking root file system ... fsck failed. ... Please repair MANUALLY and reboot. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Compaq Presario "reboot" problems
    ... There were no drivers ... >> and processor reset when doing a reboot. ... strace: reboot=cb: command not found ...
    (Linux-Kernel)