Re: Leaving a door open?

From: v3x (v3x.proof_at_gmail.com)
Date: 05/27/05

    Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 13:17:01 -0600
    To: Emmanuel Goldstein <goldstein101@gmail.com>

    Every thought about trying 'Port Knocking'? Great Article on it,
    http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/6811 If your decent with shell
    scripting, you could write a script that checks your logs for attempts
    on certain ports in a certain sequence, then opens up the port to the
    ip address they came from. That should solve your problems with just
    blatently opening the port and make it a little more secure.

    v3x

    On 5/27/05, Emmanuel Goldstein <goldstein101@gmail.com> wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > My ISP gives me a static Ip and I was thinking about leaving the SSH
    > port open so I can access my computer from anywhere since i always
    > have it switched on.
    >
    > I have a linux box that is integrated in my home Lan, and a router
    > with firewall capabilities.
    >
    > Is this secure??? Note that my admin password is really hard to guess,
    > so im not concerned about bruteforce attacks.
    >
    > Should I map ports so instead of opening 22 I access through (eg) 'ssh
    > -p 7623'. That way is not that obvious i have an open ssh port is, it?
    >
    > Any other security issues i should be concerned about?
    > Is this a good idea?
    > Is it better to just set up an ftp server?
    >

    > Thanks for your help. Cheers. Bye.

    • Re: Auto configure ICF for network
      ... > want to use ICF as part of window XP. ... Internet Connection Sharing and Internet Connection Firewall ... Adding and Removing Port Mappings ... Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, ...
    • Re: Is anybody know how to add or delete port on Windows XP Firewall for Sp1 ?
      ... > Is anybody know how to add or delete port on Windows XP Firewall ... Add/Remove Port Mappings Internet Connection Firewall ... -- torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of the 1328 page Scripting Guide: ...
      (microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript)
    • Re: ports that remote scripting uses on W2K server
      ... dynamically-assigned ports above 1024. ... Using Distributed COM with Firewalls ... Configure RPC Dynamic Port Allocation to Work with Firewall ... -- torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of the 1328 page Scripting Guide: ...
    • Re: Sockets in VBScript?
      ... VBScripts using this control will not work on computers that does not have any of those development programs installed. ... admin. ... opens a connection to, say, localhost, port 7 (which is the echo ... torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of the 1328 page Scripting Guide: ...
      (microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript)
    • Scripting for both .NET and Delphi win32
      ... want to use some kind of scripting in my application, ... throw away all of them when I port to .NET. ... Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. ... Checked by AVG anti-virus system. ...