Re: Unrestricted Outbound Web Server Access Opinion

From: Diego Kellner (dkepler_at_gmail.com)
Date: 05/04/05

    Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 09:25:29 -0300
    To: security-basics@securityfocus.com

    Paul, the main problem with unrestricted outbound access is the one
    you mention. Once the security of the server is compromised, it is
    easier to transfer data from/to the server. It is not impossible if
    you restrict traffic to port 80, it makes it harder for the script
    kiddies.It is a good policy to have both inbound as well as outbound
    traffic restricted, and it's one the things that's usually neglected
    in some firewall solutions, such as PIX, where rules (access lists)
    are applied to inbound traffic only in the outside interface.
    The real question, however, is why is it that they need unrestricted
    outbound access?
    Regards,
    Kepler