Re: VNC Security

From: Andy Bruce - softwareAB (andy_at_softwareab.net)
Date: 04/26/05

    Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 15:35:36 -0400
    To: Conlan Adams <conlan@midwesteyebanks.org>

    ---BEGIN CUT---
    In all of these scenarios, you do the setup before hand. All of these
    scenarios are easily installed, and configured as a tech, and are as
    simple as 1-3 clicks for a user, no config, because everything (ssh
    keys, vpn preshared keys, etc) are all saved and stored in advance.

    A moment of setup in advance saves you hours of support later.
    ---END CUT---

    I couldn't agree more. However, in my case I don't have access to these remote users PCs. They don't work for me or any particular company. In the usual case, they call in with a problem out of the blue. Sometimes I can help them without logging in. Sometimes I can't.

    For our internal boxes, I happen to use either the full Cygwin package or at least openssh for the users I work with. Then they just open port 22 (I normally don't want them to keep even that open) and I login and get work done. While I wouldn't call getting an SSH daemon setup on windows *correctly* a "moment" (google "sshd problems windows" for why...) it's well worth the effort. Public/private keys are even better. It's just that in many situations it's not possible to do the setup before hand.

    Regards,

    Andy

    • RE: VNC Security
      ... In all of these scenarios, you do the setup before hand. ... simple as 1-3 clicks for a user, no config, because everything (ssh ... keys, vpn preshared keys, etc) are all saved and stored in advance. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: [kde] KAddressbook Spawning Tags
      ... Heh, I'm on gentoo, using the same user and generally same setup I setup ... And a good portion of that config ... including most or all of the kde user config, all mail, etc, was copied ... was the only thing using it that I used regularly, with kde4, I ...
      (KDE)
    • RE: Mail setup for new user in Debian
      ... It turns out that the mail host required FQD email logins for it to work ... only that but plenty of old information in the fetchmailrc config file. ... fetchmail is a program which downloads mail via POP or IMAP from a ... This depends on how the mail system is setup. ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: how to inquire about Linksys WAP54G wired to desktop?
      ... So it appears that changing from 15 on my router ... a setup screen for my AP I like your suggestion but I have no clue ... I didn't know my PC had an IP config ... I'm doing is done thru a wired connection -- I haven't yet used anything ...
      (alt.internet.wireless)
    • Re: how to inquire about Linksys WAP54G wired to desktop?
      ... I really need to get to my AP setup anyway but it sure seemed like ... I didn't know my PC had an IP config ... I'm doing is done thru a wired connection -- I haven't yet used anything ... John Navas FAQ for Wi-Fi: ...
      (alt.internet.wireless)