RE: IPSec vs. IPSec/L2TP

From: Mark Lewis (mark_at_mjlnet.com)
Date: 04/09/05

    To: Bénoni MARTIN <Benoni.MARTIN@libertis.ga>
    Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 00:13:24 +0100

    Hi,

    One reason that some people like to use L2TP/IPsec rather than just IPsec is
    that L2TP/IPsec supports non-IP protocols such as IPX (over PPP). IPsec on
    its own only supports the tunneling of IP, though these days IP is just fine
    for most folks as far as simple remote access VPNs are concerned.

    L2TP & L2TP/IPsec is most popular these days for service providers who want
    to tunnel a load of PPP connections across their networks from a dial or
    other access server (LAC) to a remote tunnel termination device (LNS).
    Additionally, service providers have recently started to deploy L2TPv3
    tunnels in order to transport other layer-2 protocols such as Frame Relay,
    ATM, and even Ethernet- this allows them to merge their older Frame
    Relay/ATM/other networks with their IP networks (saves them money!), as well
    as allowing them to offer Ethernet MAN/WAN connectivity to their customers
    (they can extract more money from their customers!).

    Hope that helps!

    Mark

    CCIE#6280 / CCSI#21051 / JNCIS / etc.