Re: Question about hotel security design

From: Alexander Klimov (alserkli_at_inbox.ru)
Date: 04/07/05

    Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 15:03:23 +0300 (IDT)
    To: ricci <ricci@cs.ust.hk>

    On Wed, 6 Apr 2005, ricci wrote:
    > Can someone tell me how to design and configure the hotel room security
    > control? As what I have experience before in a hotel, I will only be
    > permitted to access to the Internet after I pay using the credit card. But I
    > sometimes found that I have been assigned with IP addresses but cannot
    > access to any port. When I access to the web port, it will bring me to the
    > payment page before I can access to the web.
    >
    > Can someone tell me how that is configured? What mechanism is used and what
    > device is used?

    Probably there is a "transparent proxy" (google for it) which either
    forward your requests to internet or shows hotel's web site
    there you can pay. After this the web site reports to the proxy that
    from now on your requests should be forwarded to internet.

    Alternatively, there is just a dynamic firewall/nat (without proxy)

    --
    Regards,
    ASK

    • RE: Question about hotel security design
      ... The device just sits between the wireless and the Internet and nothing ... After this the web site reports to the proxy that from now on ... Earn your MS in Information Security ONLINE ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: Proxy Server 2.0 related
      ... > who have rights to go on Internet through proxy wants to ... > Web Proxy Service automatically stops itself. ... > Aministration Web Site, it stops itself. ...
      (microsoft.public.isa)
    • Internet Anonymity Concerns - Hiding Your IP Address
      ... Internet Anonymity Concerns - Hiding Your IP Address ... costs something (they need to contact web site owner or hosting ... target web site sees Proxy Server IP address, ... NetConceal Anonymizer, it keeps you free from manual proxy server ...
      (alt.privacy)
    • [NT] Microsoft JScript Remote Code Execution (MS06-023)
      ... The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com ... Get your security news from a reliable source. ... There is a remote code execution vulnerability in JScript. ... Configure Internet Explorer to prompt before running Active Scripting ...
      (Securiteam)
    • [NT] Vulnerability in Microsoft XML Core Services Could Allow Remote Code Execution (MS07-042)
      ... The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com ... Get your security news from a reliable source. ... Vulnerability in Microsoft XML Core Services Could Allow Remote Code ... mode sets the security level for the Internet zone to High. ...
      (Securiteam)