Re: Shell Logging Program

From: Alex Yuzhakoff (sibprogrammer_at_54.ru)
Date: 03/11/05

    Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 09:55:10 +0600
    To: security-basics@securityfocus.com

    Hi ,

    On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 00:08:04 -0700 (MST)
    mkemp@cs.nmsu.edu wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I was hoping that someone could help me out. I would be much
    > obliged.
    > I need a shell program that will record what a user enters,
    > write
    > it to a file (possibly in the user's home directory), a time stamp,
    > and, say, the first 100 characters of text that the command issued
    > produced. No control charachters should appear in the file. I've
    > concluded that a really long .history isn't good enough.
    > I've been trying to write one using ptys but since I'm not so
    > great of a programmer, I'm hoping someone out there has already
    > written such a thing.

    Maybe "script" can help you. Try to see "man script" for details.
    But, first of all read the bugs section:
    "The script utility places everything in the log file, including
    linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects."

    Best regards,
     Alex "SibProgrammer" Yuzhakoff, NOC,
     Internet of Siberia Co., Novosibirsk, Russia.
     Phone/Fax: (+7 3832) 11-92-82, http://www.ios.ru

    • Shell Logging Program
      ... it to a file (possibly in the user's home directory), a time stamp, and, ... the first 100 characters of text that the command issued produced. ... great of a programmer, I'm hoping someone out there has already written ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: FWIW: ST Enterprise Cancelled
      ... > through the Guardian while they were playing with it. ... Where in any version of Ellison's script is this? ... LeBeque tells Beckwith that hes not going to keep doing ... >>will not do with their continuing characters and overall storyline, ...
      (sci.space.history)
    • Re: FWIW: ST Enterprise Cancelled
      ... >>charecter...why didn't they just film it the way Harlan wanted them to? ... >>will not do with their continuing characters and overall storyline, ... >so Gerrold had a script, ... It worked for that one episode, ...
      (sci.space.history)
    • ATTN JMS: B5 (and general) script questions
      ... in reading the _B5_ script books that sometimes you just ... _what_ the characters are doing. ... Yet, in the aired episode, the scene ... give specific stage directions. ...
      (rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated)
    • Re: On topic - great software for an MT
      ... professional expander, and, believe me, you really, really, really want ... to simply typing a few characters and hitting a double space or F10. ... been completely blown away by the results, a single script that lets ...
      (sci.med.transcription)