Re: Programming

From: Gilles Demarty (gilles.demarty_at_gmail.com)
Date: 02/11/05

    Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 09:55:38 +0100
    To: dayz@planet.nl, security-basics@securityfocus.com

    dayz@planet.nl a écrit :
    > Hi,
    >
    > I want to begin with learning programming to increase my knowledge about
    > security, but I don't know where to begin. Can someone tell me which
    > programming language is good to start with, and pherhaps what book
    > and/or online guides I should take a look at?
    > It would be nice that if I learn a programming language that it
    > shouldn't be much work to understand another one.
    >
    > I am on Linux and Windows.
    >
    > Thanks for the help.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Ben

    Hi Ben,

    Since no one talked about it, i would mention ADA95 as a good language
    to start learning to program. It's a heavy formated language, which help
    you avoid typo in the syntax : "If you can compile it, then it works"
    (Well maybe not that true, but almost :) ). I've done my first computer
    school year learning the basis of algorithms with this language, and it
    work great.
    But to be really honest, it's not an all-in-day language (in the industry).

    My $.02

    Gilles

    • RE: C# book for 16 yo?
      ... First I would suggest first learning Visual Studio.NET. ... Then I suggest 2 books to actually learn C# - Microsoft has a book called ... important to quality programming. ... language that combines all the best features of previous languages and is ...
    • Re: Lisp Ruby Scheme
      ... :> pure functional programming in Haskell and learning it in Scheme ... prototypical language to incorporate it, so if I wanted to really grok ... I would find me a compiler for Eiffel and start feeding it ...
      (comp.lang.scheme)
    • Re: Opinions on intro lisp books
      ... But Lisp is a little different, ... Some languages support one style of programming better than they ... Even if that weren't the case, I'm not sure that a language being a ... I don't believe that learning to program in CL requires more theory ...
      (comp.lang.lisp)
    • Re: Whats stopping you from using Ada for your next commercial project?
      ... Learning can be a relief in comparison. ... Learning another language is different. ... entertaining things as learning programming languages. ... If you argue that such people are not professionals, ...
      (comp.lang.ada)
    • Re: Newbie (Followup)
      ... level language (as I believe I will end up learning more). ... know a little bit including the basics of pointers, ... Alas I am forced to learn a "language" that deviates from even the most basic principles of programming (from what I have seen so far/ ...
      (comp.lang.c)