RE: Antivirus Comparison

From: Jediah (rife_at_madeinmaine.org)
Date: 02/10/05

    To: "'Shawn Wall'" <sjwall@shaw.ca>
    Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 12:53:55 -0500

    I've personally still found Norton to be robust and adequate; I switched
    from MCAFEE a long time ago. I have subscriptions for my home based office
    machines, and the company I primarily work for has a corporate subscription.

    I've enjoyed the central update capabilities of all Symantec products (I
    have a few different products). I have also found for the frequency of the
    updates has been adequate to address the new variants that come out
    frequently.

    The script blocking capabilities has saved me a few times on various web
    URL's that had harmful intent (sometimes even when I deserved to be infected
    :)). The UnErase wizard with the Norton Protected files is also nice.

    I really can't speak to the management of the AV solution from an enterprise
    perspective - as I've not dealt with that side (Although my primary company
    has 5000+ employees being managed through the corporate subscription), but
    as a small business owner and consumer, I've been very pleased.

    --
    Lloyd Haynes

    • RE: Antivirus Comparison
      ... Subject: Antivirus Comparison ... I've personally still found Norton to be robust and adequate; ... The UnErase wizard with the Norton Protected files is also nice. ... > For years I've been using Norton antivirus products but lately I'm ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: Norton products problems
      ... Any "content updates" for NPF are not exactly critical, ... Before the 2004 versions of Norton products, ... > Phil hate to disagree with you but I checked my Mastercharge acct for last> year and Norton Personal Firewall has a subscription service which I> extended to July of this year and of course my NPF no longer functions due> to their last update. ... >>> that updates and online support would be available for a certain time. ...
      (microsoft.public.security.virus)
    • Re: Windows Stop Error screen
      ... Assuming your Norton subscription is current, there is a very good chance that you are seeing the effects of a hijackware infection! ... NB: If you had no anti-virus application installed or the subscription had expired *when the machine first got infected* and/or your subscription has since expired and/or the machine's not been kept fully-patched at Windows Update, don't waste your time with any of the below: Format & reinstall Windows. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • Re: Antivirus Comparison
      ... From a personal point of view, I dislike the way most Symantec apps ... install running update services by default. ... The UnErase wizard with the Norton Protected files is also nice. ... >>For years I've been using Norton antivirus products but lately I'm hearing ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: Unable to run any programs
      ... Had your Norton subscription expired before you replaced it with AVG Free? ... NB: If you had no anti-virus application installed or the subscription had expired *when the machine first got infected* and/or your subscription has since expired and/or the machine's not been kept fully-patched at Windows Update, don't waste your time with any of the below: Format & reinstall Windows. ... A Repair Install will NOT help! ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)