Re: IIS6 Security and other web servers

From: Randy Williams (randyw_at_techsource.com)
Date: 01/27/05

    Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 11:36:00 -0500
    To: security-basics@securityfocus.com

    Greetings All,

    I'd like to ask for some clarification here. I know that Ebay,
    Anandtech, et al. run on a purely Windows architecture (for the ease of
    programming in .Net from what the folks at Anandtech are saying) for
    their web-services and that works well for them.

    However, I know of no Windows architecture that is exposed directly to
    the Internet. Every vendor/consultant/Admin I have ever met is saying
    that in order for Windows to be secure it must be protected by layers of
    protection (hardened router, hardware firewall, etc).

    On the other hand, I know of a number of LAMP-type servers that are
    exposed directly to the Internet with no intervening layers.

    Am I to take the statement that "IIS6 is a very secure platform" to mean
    that IIS6 is only secure after it has been hardened from its insecure
    default installation and protected by layered security that prevents
    direct access to the Internet".

    I may well be wrong here, so please feel free to correct me if I'm out
    on a limb.

    Thank you,

    RandyW