Re: Hack PGP

From: Andreas Putzo (andreas_at_inferno.nadir.org)
Date: 01/17/05

    To: security-basics@securityfocus.com
    Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 20:33:57 +0100

    Hello,

    On Saturday 15 January 2005 07:06, Daniel Persson wrote:
    > I have a delema that is quite strange but then again feasable. I did a
    > backup on my system and wiped my harddrive and then installed
    > everything from scratch.
    > My problem was that the PGP keys where locked down on my harddrive and
    > couldn't be copied by the backup system.

    Bad. Very bad. Keep at least one copy of your secret key on a save medium,
    eg. an usb-stick or a disk in your bank deposit box.
    Facing your problem, i would 1st try, to recover the key from your
    harddisk. By 'wipe' you mean a simple delete? If so, you _may have a
    change without paying a lot of money for a forensic professional.
    You may take a look at sleuthkit[1] or 'The Coroners Toolkit' to look at
    your HD for deleted files.
    If the name information for your secret_key is gone, you can possibly
    identify it on its size.
    Of course, you have to stop writing to this harddisk immediately! Take an
    image with 'dd' to another harddisk and work with this image further on.

    Good luck!

    Andreas

    [1] http://www.sleuthkit.org

    • Re: Software for Automated Backups?
      ... >> some of my files to an external (USB) harddisk. ... not a piece of backup software? ... > Add a mount command prior to your backup. ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)
    • Re: [Crobots] Tournament 2010
      ... I tried to restore my old 80486 dx 33 mhz harddisk backup which is located ... different cd-rom drives... ... I do have a data fault somewhere else... ... Also at the time the harddisk was 130 MB big or so which wasn't to big... ...
      (rec.games.corewar)
    • Re: What backup software do you recommend?
      ... Backup through Firewire to an external harddisk. ... I haven't seen Deja Vu 'just stop' without a reason. ...
      (comp.sys.mac.apps)
    • Re: Software for Automated Backups?
      ... >> some of my files to an external (USB) harddisk. ... >> - to be able to specify the directories and files to backup ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)
    • EFS encrypted harddisk
      ... On one harddisk i have my windows 2000 proffesional, and on an other (BACKUP ... back-up data who was encrypted by WIN2000 it's own EFS encrypting system. ...
      (alt.computer.security)