RE: Newbie Hacker Tools
Date: 01/07/05

    Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 13:28:45 -0600 (CST)

    This discussion reminded me of a quote from "Michael Sinz" :

    "Programming is like sex, one mistake and you have to support it for the
    rest of your life."

    Probably the same can be said for blindly using hacking/pentesting tools
    against clients ! Be intelligent and do a lot of RTFM before using these
    tools against anyone. :-) <<happy hacking>>

    Introduction (article) -
    Scanning (article) -
    Nessus Network Auditing (book) - check amazon !
    Nessus Primer with the NessusWX Client -

    Manpage -
    NMAP: under the hood -
    introduction to nmap -

    And .. a nmap-nessus combined cheatsheet, which would help you till the
    time you dont cram up all those cmd options ;-)

    • Questions: nmap, nessus unreliability, setting up a packet capture box, using Impacket
      ... How reliable have people here found nmap and nessus to be? ... encountered cases of nmap not finding ports, ... to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. ...
    • Re: Importing Security Product Output Into A Database
      ... A very incomplete list would include nmap, nessus, cisco, tipping point IPS, AD servers, syslog and checkpoint. ... Can you give examples about good SIM tools that do the work? ...
    • Re: Tool for sending malicious traffic to destination system
      ... scapy for packet crafting attacks, ... with nmap for packet crafting, ... automated tools like Nessus for a penetration test. ... If your goal is to spoof, ...
    • Re: Open ports
      ... Yaa I found this typical behavior with NMap & Nessus earlier when I did PT-VA. ... In that case it was because of the Weak configuration/Defect in Client's Application Proxy. ... Get 45 Min Video and PPT Slides ...
    • [SLE] Still having problems with Nessus/nmap on SuSE 9.0
      ... Nessus, a tool we rely on here to test servers before they go live, does ... Mads just posted an rpm of nmap 3.50 for me to try, ... I have been in contact with SuSE tech support who tell me ... but mostly it was "Complain to SuSE and get them to fix their kernel". ...