Re: Employee new to industry

From: Steve (
Date: 01/06/05

    To: "Kris Wingard" <>, <>
    Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 18:00:39 -0500

    Sounds like you need her to be able to converse with customers at least a
    bit, and understand what the staff is saying when they talk about
    "installing an SLL VPN" for a customer.

    Ziff Davis had a book called How Networks Work, really basic. There must
    also be a Networking for Dummies book.

    Have her take a look at this Networking chapter from a basic Computer
    Textbook online:,7482,635562-,00.html
    Dig around and you can find the PowerPoint that goes with the chapter, good
    basic stuff.

    Someone noted training is a must and that is good. Consider a seminar like
    this, although topics might be over her head it will be a good start and she
    will learn much:

    I have found these other tech lingo resources to be good, especially
    An encyclopedia of tech terms and technologies --
    Layman's Guide to Tech Speak --
    An online Tech Encyclopedia --
    The ultimate computer acronyms archive -
    A great place to find just about any definition you need -

    Somebody else noted the How Stuff Works link, good idea there too.

    Hundreds of tutorials for many tech topics -

    Hope this helps,