Re: Recover SCO UNIX root password

From: Jason Bridge (jason.bridge_at_gmail.com)
Date: 12/28/04

    Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 11:53:00 -0500
    To: "Mandelcorn, Seymour" <smandelcorn@bgr.umd.edu>

    I have tried this and it works:

    Edit /mnt/etc/passwd. The first line will be your root line, such as
    root:encryptedpasswordgoeshere:0:0:God,Everywhere:/:/bin/sh
    Edit out the encrypted password (don't touch anything else!) so that
    the line reads something like
    root::0:0:God,Everywhere:/:/bin/sh

    Save the file and shut down. Reboot from the hard drive. Your root
    password has now been removed, and you can reset it normally

    If you still need help mounting the volume try one of these:

    http://aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ/scotec1.html#downloadboot

    HTH
    Jason