RE: Windows XP local Privileges

From: Kirk Brady (Kirk.Brady_at_TeachersHealth.com.au)
Date: 12/13/04

    Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 08:06:43 +1100
    To: <security-basics@securityfocus.com>

    could you not logon as local admin?

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Rashied Sambo [mailto:Rashied@Honey-CT.co.za]
    Sent: Monday, 13 December 2004 6:26 PM
    To: security-basics@securityfocus.com
    Subject: Windows XP local Privileges

    Hi

    Not sure if this was mentioned already,so hopefully I am not being redundant.
    My problem is this:-

    We have a Small Bus. Server, App server and terminal server. I have added a new workstation to log onto the domain. But now the XP pc's local privileges is being dictated by the SBS domain server. Normaly I would like this but our internet is via proxy on the SBS server and to be able to activate windows xp via the internet I need admin rights on the workstation. Could you guys (and gals) help me by telling what to try to have my workstation dictate its own rights and not authenticate its rights form the server?

    Thanx

    Rashied Sambo
    Rashied@Honey-CT.co.za
    IT / Admin / Marketing
    HONEY ATTORNEYS
    +27 21 941 7777

    • RE: GPO does not apply on 2 computers unless the user is an Admin.....
      ... I understand that 2 of over 50 Windows XP machines cannot apply GPO if the ... logon user is a domain user without local admin privilege. ... Applying Windows XP Group Policy in a Windows 2000 Domain ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.group_policy)
    • Re: Group member of another group
      ... We are currently running in Windows 2000 mixed mode. ... I already have the local admin group added to the ... group to the administrators group. ... You apparently have added a second domain group as a member of the local ...
    • [opensuse] Re: Ubuntu Forum hacked
      ... but it might also have been less common for performance reasons. ... Even Windows 2000 servers are common in larger Windows shops. ... sitting out in a test network or other area of disregarded servers. ... then crack any local admin accounts and any ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: Windows 2003 SP1/SMS SP1 local sec issues.
      ... Upon research I found that Windows 2003 SP1 creates a local group ... COM Users' group on SQL server in order to make the connection. ... Any help would be great to remove techs from the local admin ...
      (microsoft.public.sms.admin)
    • Re: group policy
      ... I recommend you to re-install the Windows XP OS anyway since the computer ... Logon using the built-in administrator account and remove the ... > admin rights to all users even local admin account. ...