Re: COPS scanner

From: Tom Rhodes (trhodes_at_FreeBSD.org)
Date: 12/07/04

    Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 17:46:52 -0500
    To: security-basics@securityfocus.com

    On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 13:20:14 -0800 (PST)
    Elihu Smails <elihusmails2000@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > Has anyone ever heard of a tool called COPS. I guess
    > it is a rootkit detection app. I have googled for it
    > and have not come up with anything.
    >
    > Thanks.....

    If you were a FreeBSD user I'd tell you to look in
    /usr/ports/security/cops

    More information:

    %cat /usr/ports/security/cops/pkg-descr
    Cops is a set of programs to check how secure your system is. It
    checks file and directory privileges, SUID programs, etc. It has
    support for checking passwords, but this port doesn't include it
    as it is DES based. This port installs cops in a single directory
    area. The directory has no non-user privileges and cops is meant
    to be run locally to that directory. The perl version of cops is
    also included in a subdirectory.

    WWW: http://www.fish.com/cops/

    --
    Tom Rhodes