RE: Statistics

From: Philip Wagenaar (pb.wagenaar_at_chello.nl)
Date: 12/04/04

    Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2004 18:56:15 +0100
    To: 'Ralf Allar' <ralf.allar@netcologne.de>, security-basics@securityfocus.com

    Hi,

    Nobody knows real numbers. Sometimes you can read an article about how much
    hackers cost a certain business, but even those numbers are estimates.

    Besides, what I always have wondered and found interesting is how many
    company's keep security breaches secret. It's is hard for me to believe that
    a bank has never been hacked, and that a hacker caused a lot of trouble. If
    this has happened there is a 100% possibility that the bank will keep the
    incident behind closed doors. In fact, I believe that most hacks, involving
    some amount of money in damages, but even more important, if it would be
    made public the customers would lose faith in the company, all hacks are
    kept secret. There is no good reason for a company to go public on a hack.

    This is why I believe that any numbers you will find are based on somebody'
    own estimate and is not even close to the real number, because nobody knows
    it.

    Philip Wagenaar
    http://www.gochem.tk

    My Inbox is protected by SPAMfighter
    2331 spam mails have been blocked so far.
    Download free www.spamfighter.com today!