Re: Administrator Rights?

From: Caeser Augustus (caeser.augustus_at_gmail.com)
Date: 12/06/04

    Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 17:33:03 +0530
    To: security-basics@securityfocus.com

    Hi Gerald,

    Is that CSDVersion key that you were talking about?

    Thanks

    On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 12:26:52 -0800, geraldf@westernsaw.com
    <geraldf@westernsaw.com> wrote:
    > Morning,all:
    >
    > I don't believe this is entirely correct. The Admin credentials do need to
    > be present and verified, but the "run as" secondary logon is sufficient.
    > Someone with Admin credentials does not have to be the primary logon for the
    > updates to fire and install.
    >
    > I am not dead sure what you are implying with the "Windows update will not
    > install ANY update if the Admin is not logged on." statement. I have been
    > using the "runas" method in our company for over three years, and other than
    > an occasional hickup where Admin or otherwise the update service just stops
    > functioning, every pc just updates like a clock once a day no matter who is
    > logged on to the pc. The odd update failure seems to involve a reg entry
    > that gives a corrupt version that I manually change, and off it goes again.
    >
    > Servers, of course, are a different story. To set those up with "auto
    > update" without any sandboxing should only be done if your resume is updated
    > and your next prospective employer is in sight.
    >
    > Good luck, and kudos to MSFT on the Update service. I don't see anyone else
    > doing anything even remotely close to this level of customer service.
    >
    > The driver updates included in this service are a real blessing. Any
    > printer vendor, for example, that comes onsite is immediately quizzed on
    > whether they participate in the MSFT update service. If not, adios. I
    > consider a vendor who doesn't participate actively in this driver update
    > service to be jacking up the TCO (total cost of ownership) to my company to
    > save themselves some cash. Canon is the worst at this...zero participation,
    > zero email notification of new drivers. They just don't seem to get it.
    >
    > Gerald
    > Investment Advice
    > >
    > > If you bought $1000 worth of Nortel stock one year ago, it would now
    > > be worth $49.
    > >
    > > If you bought $1000 worth of Budweiser (the beer, not the stock) one
    > > year ago, drank all the beer, and traded in the cans for the nickel
    > > deposit,you would have $79.
    > >
    > > My advice to you is to start drinking heavily....
    > > And save your cans!

    • RE: Administrator Rights?
      ... but the "run as" secondary logon is sufficient. ... Someone with Admin credentials does not have to be the primary logon for the ... updates to fire and install. ... Windows update will not install ANY update if the Admin is not logged on. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: Administrator Rights?
      ... The PC will successfully download all of the updates that windows update ... However, when trying to install the updates, first, it states ... administrator, this patch/update will not be installed. ... another admin account, log in as that user, then try it again. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: Unable to install update for Windows update - Vista Ultimate E
      ... Local Admin (this account has always been active since I upgraded an XP ... Windows update from this account instead. ... download and install the Belarc Advisor (in your ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
    • Re: SP 1 Post install Problems
      ... and when it asks for my admin credentials it says "The account is not ... I would NOT attempt to install Vista SP1 manually unless and until it's offered by Windows Update, ... Windows Vista Help: Learn how to install Windows Vista Service Pack 1: ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
    • RE: How to find when Service Pack 2 was installed?
      ... Windows Update> Review your update history ... "Elvis" wrote: ... users has it installed but I didn't install it and he doesn't have admin ...