Re: How secure is VPN access?

From: Jonathan Loh (kj6loh_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 11/18/04

    Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 20:00:51 -0800 (PST)
    To: security-basics@securityfocus.com

    It is a valid concern, VPN only secures the connection so that others cannot
    see what's going on in the VPN tunnel. But no it does not provide any
    filtering. So yes, an unwary (or rogue) employee can upload other goodies.
    Many companies have policies mandating that home users install basic
    security,(ie a firewall, and virus protection/scanner, etc...), agree not to
    misuse the companies servers and sign an agreement saying as much before they
    get VPN access.
    Corporate laptops, once they go home with the user should be treated the same
    way. Unless they have something like deep freeze on them.
    --- Cesar Diaz <cdiaz00@gmail.com> wrote:

    > List,
    >
    > After years of having VPN access for our remote users without a single
    > know security incident, my boss and I have to justify to her boss why
    > VPN is secure.
    >
    > The CIO wants us to only allow users to access the network from
    > company laptops, not from their own home computers. We currently will
    > allow users to install the VPN client software on their home computers
    > to connect remotely, or they can use Citrix through SSL access to get
    > to network resources. His concern is that if a users home PC is
    > compromised, that compromise can spread to our network.
    >
    > Is this a legitimate concern? Can anyone point me in the direction of
    > some documentation backing either argument?

    http://my.yahoo.com

    • RE: Phone based VPN access
      ... even without the VPN access. ... get with any remote VPN access really. ... I've never set that up for smart-phones but I'd ... Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • RE: Setting up VPN on SBS 2003
      ... from remote client to SBS. ... you may need to follow the steps below to configure VPN access ... server on the Web Server Certificate page. ... and select VPN access in the Remote Access ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • RE: VPN client problems
      ... sure Virtual Private Networking (VPN) is selected in the Services ... And make sure you have typed the public FQDN of the SBS ... server on the Web Server Certificate page. ... and select VPN access in the Remote Access ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • RE: CMAK reset clear service profile
      ... Please follow the steps below to reconfigure VPN access on an SBS ... Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • RE: VPN Requirements
      ... Thank you for posting in SBS newsgroup. ... You surely can setup VPN on SBS Standard edition. ... you may follow the steps below to configure VPN access on an SBS ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)