Re: Securing Printers

From: Peter Wan (
Date: 11/16/04

    Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 16:42:00 -0500
    To: Bryce Embry <>

    I remember seeing a reference to a paper at Black Hat that addressed this topic,
    but can't seem to find the information on the paper. Here is another reference
    that addresses risks of an accessible printer:

    It talks about the physical security worries, but then talks about how abuse of
    insecure services provided by the printer (Web, FTP, etc.) can cause trouble.

    On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 11:18:47 -0600, Bryce Embry <> wrote:
    > Howdy,
    > A recent thread on BugTraq, along with some discussions with my
    > colleagues, has me curious about printer security. What dangers are
    > there in giving a printer a public IP address?
    > To me, a printer with a public IP sounds utterly foolish, but I'm not
    > doing a very good job of making this point with my colleagues. They
    > usually respond with the question "Why would anyone want to print
    > something to a printer they can't even find?". My answers (usually "Why
    > not?" or "it's a system running an OS that is subject to exploitation")
    > don't seem to be very convincing, especially since I can't produce any
    > known exploits. I would appreciate any arguments and reasoning that
    > would carry more weight, or enlightenment to help me stop being so
    > paranoid.
    > Thanks,
    > Bryce

    Peter Wan <>