Deletion of all files owned by specific owner

From: D Hull (dbhull1_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 11/12/04

    Date: 12 Nov 2004 06:43:16 -0000
    To: security-basics@securityfocus.com

    This evening, all of the files owned by a specific user were removed from a server, including the user's home directory and files owned on an NFS mounted partition.

    I did not have any baselines in place to help troubleshoot this problem so I am starting from scratch and don't have much to go on. I realize I am in a bad spot. I am able to recover the data. I need to be able to determine what happened though - as best as possible under the circumstances. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.