Re: Information on Bandwidth Issues

From: Ghaith Nasrawi (
Date: 11/03/04

    Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2004 00:24:16 +0000

    if by chance you're using any of the Super Stack 4400 switches, you can
    setup mirror ports (i can't remember the actual naming of them, it's not
    mirror) and you can only mirror one port at a time. They are very handy
    to monitor traffic using a regular sniffer. maybe you'd like to mirror
    your main uplink port (if you have one) and see what's going on.

    On Sun, 2004-10-31 at 22:11, Keith Bucknall wrote:
    > Dear All,
    > IF possible I am looking for some advice on some problems our users, over
    > the last 2 weeks our network activity has increased 10 fold, most of our
    > applications are running very slow, from email, SQL databases and our
    > application in particular the ones that use Tarantella Secure Desktop a RDP
    > based Terminal Services. WE have recently moved the T/S to another location
    > with a 2MB WAN link and I am really looking for some advice and types of
    > tools I could use to monitor the traffic from site A to B and the internal
    > LAN of site A and B.
    > We use all 3com Managed Switches and the link is provided by a managed
    > service, I thought about running Ethereal but understand as we uses switches
    > I would have to mirror a port on each of the 5 switches, is there a tool I
    > could install on either site to monitor the traffic, my main concern is
    > either with have an increase in RDP traffic or perhaps a potential problem.
    > Kind Regards
    > Keith Bucknall

    • RE: Use of Taps for IDS
      ... I had a feeling not all switches behaved in the same way. ... those that mirror from a VLAN before now rather than individual ports, ... >taps, but port mirroring, so I guess it's sorta on topic... ...
    • RE: Information on Bandwidth Issues
      ... setup mirror ports (i can't remember the actual naming of them, ... your main uplink port and see what's going on. ... > We use all 3com Managed Switches and the link is provided by a managed ... > Keith Bucknall ...
    • RE: Network scanning
      ... > be sourced on one port.. ... > plenty of cisco switches that do this anyhow, ... > Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind oder diese E-Mail irrt├╝mlich ... > informieren Sie bitte sofort den Absender und vernichten Sie diese Mail. ...
    • Re: Port trunking / link aggregation problem
      ... A port trunk always sends packets from a particular source ... A single link is designated for flooding broadcasts and packets ... As a result typical switches allow you to do load balancing based ...
    • Help with the logic of my structure?
      ... I am using snmp to walk a couple of tables on some switches to output a list ... multiple ports and or the same port but with different hosts. ... I also tried replacing the "foreach" with a "while - ... push @pport, "$host-$_"; ...