Re: Linux hacked

From: xyberpix (xyberpix_at_xyberpix.com)
Date: 10/21/04

    Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 09:20:41 +0100 (BST)
    To: "Nicholson, Dale" <DNicholson@APACMail.com>

    Hi Dale,

    To find out what kernel version you are running, type "uname -a" without
    the comments of course :-) That will give you a wealth of information.
    As for tools to check for rootkits, one of my fav is chrootkit, do a
    google for it, and you'll find it, works really well.
    Also, what exactly did the history file show, can you paste it into a mail
    for us to have a look at as well as the uname -a output, may make things
    easier to decipher.

    Also you say that to get in you have to boot from a CD, what happens if
    you don't? As the kiddie may have just messed around with your lilo.conf
    or grub.con files, and that can be remedied quite easily.
    If you need any help on this one, either mail me on the list, which may be
    better as then you can get other people's opinions on this as well, or off
    the list if you'd prefer.

    xyberpix

    --
    For security and Opensource news check out:
    http://xyberpix.demon.co.uk

    • Re: BUG in pty_chars_in_buffer with 2.6.30 git head using ssh
      ... unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at ... ssh had got part way to establishing a connection from the other machine ... I was able to log in as root perfectly fine. ... Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/ ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • Re: Redhat Kernel updates catuion
      ... [root@tyanbox root]# uname -p ... >Upgrading a release kernel is not a problem, ... >It's best to install the new kernel and keep the current kernel. ...
      (linux.redhat)
    • Re: Redhat Kernel updates catuion
      ... [root@tyanbox root]# uname -p ... >Upgrading a release kernel is not a problem, ... >It's best to install the new kernel and keep the current kernel. ...
      (linux.redhat.install)
    • Re: Redhat Kernel updates catuion
      ... [root@tyanbox root]# uname -p ... >Upgrading a release kernel is not a problem, ... >It's best to install the new kernel and keep the current kernel. ...
      (alt.os.linux.redhat)
    • ssh problems after unrelated changes
      ... my kernel. ... I can't seem to ssh from my normal user account. ... Oddly, I _can_ ssh normally when sudo'd to root, but I can't see any ...
      (freebsd-questions)