Re: Security Basics for Sales People

From: Steve (securityfocus_at_delahunty.com)
Date: 10/14/04

    To: "Corey LeBleu" <coreylebleu@gmail.com>, <security-basics@securityfocus.com>
    Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 10:17:55 -0400

    Brings back scary memories. Those sales people love to write down their
    passswords on a sticky and put that on their laptop that they leave at the
    office in their open cubicle with no lock on the computer.

    I would not even really tell them about the firewall/IDS/etc except to maybe
    explain there are several security systems in place at various points on
    your network to protect the employees, such as those in the sales
    department. You could explain for instance that something they likely know
    of called a firewall offers some protection from Internet threats but that
    your firm has other measures and systems in place.

    I received a nice set of security awareness glossy cards addressing certain
    levels within an organization (board, execs, users, IT) from the Information
    Systems Audit and Control Association. I could not find it on their
    bookstore site though. http://www.isaca.org

    You may also want to consider annual security awareness training as is noted
    by NIST
    http://csrc.nist.gov/ATE/awareness.html
    There are "user" level briefings/info there.