RE: Hard Drive data security

From: Kristján Hreinn Bergsson (kristjanb_at_tm.is)
Date: 10/05/04

    Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 08:51:44 -0000
    To: "xyberpix" <xyberpix@xyberpix.com>, "Paul Kurczaba" <paul@myipis.com>

    Don't you mean:

    dd if=/dev/null of=/dev/hda

    Kristján

    -----Original Message-----
    From: xyberpix [mailto:xyberpix@xyberpix.com]
    Sent: 4. október 2004 09:06
    To: Paul Kurczaba
    Cc: Security Basics[List]
    Subject: Re: Hard Drive data security

    In the past I have always used dd on this one, you will need access to
    Linux, or a bootable linux distro, any of them will do, knoppix, phlak,
    mini-slack, etc.
    Then run:

    dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/null

    check the syntax by using man dd as I may have it backwards, but it'll
    wipe it for you. I've known a couple of SysAd's who've done this by
    accident on a live system in the past, and it wipes everything really
    well.

    xyberpix

    --
    For Security and Open Source news:
    http://xyberpix.demon.co.uk

    • RE: Hard Drive data security
      ... But basically /dev/urandom writes ones and zeros in random fashion. ... Paris E. Stone, "Linux Zealot" ... >> I have a question about hard drive data security. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: Hard Drive data security
      ... use "dd" if using linux. ... Subject: Hard Drive data security ... my notebook is failing and Dell is going to replace it. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: Coming from XP
      ... With XP there were a few program, that would wipe all free space, ... Again, Secure Delete, there was a app, that would rename the file, ... but I need to know if Linux, ... you have to run defrag constantly to avoid disk access ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)
    • Re: Hard Drive data security
      ... it may not be able to perform a wipe. ... this aspect of data recovery. ... > Subject: RE: Hard Drive data security ... Jonathan Loh; Paul Kurczaba; security-basics@securityfocus.com ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: secure file delete on journaled file systems
      ... > wiping an old hard disk once and a while before giving it ... For that purpose, don't wipe the files, wipe the entire drive (or ... dispose of the hard drive, I boot a cd-based linux (knoppix, system ...
      (comp.os.linux.security)