RE: Hard Drive data security

From: Shanafelt, Gabe (SHANAGG_at_dshs.wa.gov)
Date: 09/30/04

    To: "Paul Kurczaba" <paul@myipis.com>
    Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 13:46:08 -0700

    Use DBAN -> http://dban.sourceforge.net/

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Paul Kurczaba [mailto:paul@myipis.com]
    Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2004 9:11 AM
    To: security-basics@securityfocus.com
    Subject: Hard Drive data security

    Hi,
       I have a question about hard drive data security. The hard drive on my
    notebook is failing and Dell is going to replace it. They are going to take
    the old one with them. How can I securely remove the data from the hard
    drive?

    Thanks,
    Paul

    • RE: Hard Drive data security
      ... If you want a utility to completely erase a hard drive use dbnuke. ... Subject: Hard Drive data security ... This email has been scanned by the MessageLabs Email Security System. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • RE: Hard Drive data security
      ... But basically /dev/urandom writes ones and zeros in random fashion. ... Paris E. Stone, "Linux Zealot" ... >> I have a question about hard drive data security. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: Hard Drive data security
      ... Gethin Jones ... > Subject: Hard Drive data security ... > notebook is failing and Dell is going to replace it. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: Hard Drive data security
      ... use "dd" if using linux. ... Subject: Hard Drive data security ... my notebook is failing and Dell is going to replace it. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: Hard Drive data security
      ... > I have a question about hard drive data security. ... If so I'd do a full backup, and then use a tool like PGP to securely wipe the datafiles. ... Using the highest number of passes, then when done wit that again a tool like PGP to wipe the freespace. ...
      (Security-Basics)