Re: Remote Control

From: Adrian DuPre (adrian.dupre_at_gmail.com)
Date: 09/30/04

    Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 08:53:24 -0500
    To: curtis.furutani@us.army.mil, security-basics@securityfocus.com

       Without sending you the acutal policy, here goes-- I work in the
    medical device industry (FDA/ISO controlled), and we use electronic
    signatures. Since you never know what potentially confidential
    information is on a users' screen when you initiate a remote control
    session (i.e. purchasing, quality records, HR data), our remote
    control policy includes the following:
    1. Permission must be granted by the user before initiating a session
    2. The method of permission, and the date/time of the remote control
    session as well as who initiated the session and what work was
    performed are logged in our help desk software (CYA measure)
    3. Upon finishing remote work, IT staff must close all applications
    opened during the session.
    4. Any exceptions require approval of IT management, and are
    documented and logged.

    In our case, it would be nice if we could configure the remote control
    software (LanDesk) would create the access record automatically,
    allowing the "controller" to only input permission granted and work
    performed.

    Hope that helps!

    -Adrian DuPre'