RE: learning ethical hacking

From: David Gillett (gillettdavid_at_fhda.edu)
Date: 09/15/04

    To: "'Shawn Duffy'" <shawnduffy@gmail.com>, "'Nick Falcon'" <nickbird793@hotmail.com>
    Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 11:50:55 -0700

      I've seen an awful lot of exploit descriptions from folks who very
    clearly had no idea how the system/technology being exploited was
    designed to work, kind of the "let's see what happens if we press
    this button" school of system exploration. That's bad for anybody
    who aspires to be a White Hat (ethical), because it risks breaking
    things unintentionally. And it's bad for Black Hats because it tends
    to leave a fairly obvious trail of failed attempts....

      On the flip side, though, well-built products are supposed to be
    thoroughly tested by folks who DO understand the design, before their
    released into the world. Experience suggests that the ignorant (I'm
    not being derogatory here, just factual) approach pretty regularly
    uncovers flaws in areas that were incorrectly or incompletely specified
    in the design. The vulnerability is triggered by doing something that
    nobody who understood the design would ever think to do!

      I would say that your goal should be to achieve a deep, expert
    understanding of the systems whose security you want to study -- but
    it may be counterproductive to put off starting to study until you have
    achieved that level of understanding.

    Dave Gillett

    Computer Forensics Training at the InfoSec Institute. All of our class sizes
    are guaranteed to be 12 students or less to facilitate one-on-one
    interaction with one of our expert instructors. Gain the in-demand skills of
    a certified computer examiner, learn to recover trace data left behind by
    fraud, theft, and cybercrime perpetrators. Discover the source of computer
    crime and abuse so that it never happens again.

    http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/computer_forensics_training.html