Detecting new Windows .jpeg exploit

From: Bowes, Ronald (EST) (RBowes_at_gov.mb.ca)
Date: 09/15/04

    To: "'security-basics@securityfocus.com'" <security-basics@securityfocus.com>
    Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 13:53:34 -0500

    This is regarding the exploit in Microsoft's .jpeg handling code, posted
    here: http://secunia.com/advisories/12528/.

    What I'd like to know is how we can scan a fairly large network for
    vulnerable machines.  Microsoft provided a tool to detect if your own
    computer needs to be patched, but running this on potentially thousands of
    systems isn't really an option.  Is there any way known at this time to
    detect if a computer is vulnerable?

    Thanks,

    Ron Bowes

    Information Protection Center
    Government of Manitoba

    Computer Forensics Training at the InfoSec Institute. All of our class sizes
    are guaranteed to be 12 students or less to facilitate one-on-one
    interaction with one of our expert instructors. Gain the in-demand skills of
    a certified computer examiner, learn to recover trace data left behind by
    fraud, theft, and cybercrime perpetrators. Discover the source of computer
    crime and abuse so that it never happens again.

    http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/computer_forensics_training.html