Re: educating rDNS violators

From: Derek Schaible (dschaible_at_cssiinc.com)
Date: 08/25/04

    To: security-basics@securityfocus.com
    Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 07:00:35 -0400

    On Mon, 2004-08-23 at 15:24, JGrimshaw@ASAP.com wrote:
    > I was under the impression that reverse DNS for the Internet was
    > essentially broken, due to several large ISPs not necessarily implementing
    > reverse DNS for their many subnetted customers.

    I have the (mis)fortune of being a customer of a large ISP who resells a
    portion of a class C to us. As with most customers in this situation I
    run my own DNS with no authority over my reverse DNS. But if you call
    your ISP's help line and ask them to correct your reverse DNS entry for
    your mail servers they more than likely will be ecstatic to help you
    out.

    Personally, I can say my spam reduced over 85% by dropping mail that
    doesn't come from a server with correct reverse DNS information. All
    ISP's want to see spam reduced and if your ISP won't assist you in
    correcting your reverse info, I'd be shopping for a new ISP.

    Hope this helps someone out!

    --
    Derek Schaible <dschaible@cssiinc.com>
    CSSI, Inc.

    • Re: smtp transmission error
      ... Many mail servers do a crude verification on incoming ... mail by checking for a reverse DNS on the sender IP (since ... This isn't something you can do yourself, your ISP will have to ... > Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.dns)
    • Re: Cannot send to Hotmail or MSN
      ... James Chong ... thought is that my ISP will say they have this already set up or say they ... Reverse DNS entries for MX records ERROR: None of your mail serverseem ... your smatrhost it to another server. ...
      (microsoft.public.exchange.admin)
    • Re: SMTP and Sat ADSL
      ... The Gilat Sat Modem is assigned a static IP of 217.xxx.xxx.201 provided by ... Assume the Gilat acts as a DHCP ... Also not clear if I get the ISP to enable reverse dns how it works when they ... Also if I cannot get reverse DNS then I guess I will have to use their SMTP ...
      (microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz)
    • Re: Cannot send to Hotmail or MSN
      ... As far as email sent to us...our ISP ... Reverse DNS entries for MX records ERROR: None of your mail serverseem ... to have reverse DNS (PTR) entries. ... server at www.dnsstuff.com and verify it has a PTR. ...
      (microsoft.public.exchange.admin)
    • Re: Cant receive mail from some domains
      ... I thought these were errors with the ISP name servers? ... Dave G typed: ... receive a NDR or, in some cases, nothing at all. ... I have had the ISP set up a reverse DNS entry for my mailserver. ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)