How can I enable power users on W2k domain to defrag their hard drives??

From: AndrewC (andrew_at_whirlow.plus.com)
Date: 08/23/04

    To: <security-basics@securityfocus.com>
    Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 21:52:45 +0100

    Hi All

    Just a brief query. At my work we have about 150 users on a W2k
    domain(s). The vast majority of machines are Win XP Pro with the
    remainder being Windows 2000. I have in the past had to make the users
    local admins due to some of the applications we have to run (before we
    created the Domain). This came with the usual problems of software being
    installed illicitly etc so I have created several group policy objects
    for AD and have made everyone power users. My question?? How can I
    enable users to Defragment their own hard drives as power users? (is it
    possible through GP?)

    Any suggestions would be gratefully received

    Thanks in Advance

    Andrew Craig

    Computer Forensics Training at the InfoSec Institute. All of our class sizes
    are guaranteed to be 12 students or less to facilitate one-on-one
    interaction with one of our expert instructors. Gain the in-demand skills of
    a certified computer examiner, learn to recover trace data left behind by
    fraud, theft, and cybercrime perpetrators. Discover the source of computer
    crime and abuse so that it never happens again.

    http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/computer_forensics_training.html

    • Changing password in XP
      ... >while using XP Pro, ... >You do not have authority to change your password. ... >I have 2 XP machines on my native Win2K domain and they ... set them to power users. ...
    • Re: foreign language gpo
      ... (most machines are win2k, Policy editing machine is Win XP with GPMC). ... Your problem with the Power Users Group is a little bit more difficult. ... The problem is, that your edit the GPO from a system, that did not write ... You need the SID of the group inside your GPO, ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.group_policy)
    • Re: Group Policy and Local Administrator
      ... > users on their local machines. ... > maintain these users as local admins on their machines only, ... > making them power users on other computers on the network. ...
    • RE: Administrators & Power Users
      ... Subject: Administrators & Power Users ... That should let the script continue past non-windows machines. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: Making users "Power Users"
      ... It's a viable method -- but not nearly as clean as the GPO. ... Is there a way to make a user a power user on all machines using Active ... Windows 2000 servers and say to use Restricted Groups in Group Policy. ... when I go there the Power Users group doesn't appear because (I ...