Re: What do you folks think about EC-Council

From: Jude Naidoo (jude007_at_jnaidoo.fsnet.co.uk)
Date: 08/20/04

    To: <ssgill@gilltechnologies.com>, <security-basics@securityfocus.com>
    Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 14:03:03 +0100

    In my opinion, it all starts with TCP/IP. From here, it depends on what
    aspect of security you want to be involved in. If you want to be vendor
    specific, then get to know their products.
    the CISSP is more a security management certification. With just a CISSP,
    one will not know how to control a virus outbreak on a network. Please don't
    misunderstand me. I am a CISSP, and in no way am I knocking it.
    I come across way to many ambitious graduates wanting to get into security,
    but they don't even know how to work out what a 28 bit subnet is !!
    I've done the SANS GCIA course and one still needs to know TCP/IP fairly
    well before attending the course.

    So, a good place to start is know the transport hackers will use to get into
    your network - TCP/IP, social engineering , etc.

    My two cents worth

    Jude