Re: Windows 2000 Administrator lockout

From: Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers (bugtraq_at_planetcobalt.net)
Date: 08/17/04

    Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 00:07:29 +0200
    To: security-basics@securityfocus.com

    On 2004-08-13 Robert Ritchey wrote:
    > The network that I have is rather small. 1 server, and 4 workstations.
    > I inherited the systems. There has been no administrator working there
    > for a little over a year.
    [...]
    > Nobody knows any of the passwords for anything on the system. Any of
    > the passwords that are in use are not allowed administrator access. I
    > do mean for anything! I can't even get Symantec to update virus
    > signatures, as I do not have a password to do the update with.
    [...]
    > I am looking for options, before I have to go and reformat and rebuild.
    [...]
    > Does anyone know of any other way to take control of this machine and
    > network.

    Yes. This is a frequently asked question and some googling (or searching
    the list archive) should have unearthed the answer.

    Regards
    Ansgar Wiechers

    --
    "Those who would give up liberty for a little temporary safety
    deserve neither liberty nor safety, and will lose both."

    • RE: passwords in asp pages
      ... An old vulnerability in IIS was that a specially crafted URL would return the script of an ASP page instead of executing it. ... Subject: passwords in asp pages ... All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. ... Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • RE: Minimum password requirements
      ... Passwords must be changed at least every 90 days. ... to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. ... Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field ... This e-mail transmission, ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: passwords in asp pages
      ... server and resulting HTML is sent down to the client ... The passwords are ... to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. ... Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: passwords in asp pages
      ... Is the site available via http or https? ... will show the passwords, it should be HTTPS. ... All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. ... Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: User Passwords and security risks
      ... Security Awareness training about passwords. ... to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. ... Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field ...
      (Security-Basics)