Re: IP KVM switches

From: Steve Joerger (steve_joerger_at_earthlink.net)
Date: 08/10/04

    Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 16:14:46 -0400
    To: Brasha <brahsha@yahoo.com>

    Brasha wrote:
    > I would like to know the experiences of the user
    > community and security issues related to “IP KVM”
    > switches.

    I have no direct experience with the HP line of kvm/ip switches but I do
    have experiernce with the Avocent and Dell (rebranded Avocent) kvm/ip
    switches.

    As for security, these have gui software that requires a username and
    password to do anything with them which to me is acceptable. The only
    thing they don't have (or I haven't found the right option) is a
    username/password on the physical console.

    As for performance they are at the bottom of my list, mostly due to the
    mouse tracking issues. For remote managemtment of (Windows) servers my
    list looks like (best to worst):

    1. Remote Desktop/Terminal Services
    2. VNC
    3. PCAnywhere
    4. kvm/ip switch

    Steve

    Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
    any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
    to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
    Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
    pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
    of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
    Visit us at:
    http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html

    • RE: Removing Local Admin Rights...
      ... Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. ... to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. ... Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field ... pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • RE: HIPAA_Compliance
      ... Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. ... to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. ... Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field ... pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • RE: Cisco CSA
      ... Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. ... to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. ... Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field ... pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • RE: Minimum password requirements
      ... Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. ... to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. ... Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field ... pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Betr.: RE: fax software in the domain
      ... Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. ... to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. ... pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. ... Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field ...
      (Security-Basics)