Tunneling SMTP Traffic Via SSH Question

dsimcik_at_bentley.edu
Date: 07/15/04

    To: security-basics@securityfocus.com
    Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 13:39:13 -0400

    Hi,
            My apologies if this is a dumb question -- I'm attempting to
    forward port 25 (SMTP) over SSH via Putty to an off-campus mail server.
    Here are my connection parameters:

    Session> Hostname (for SSH): mail.myserver.com Port: 22
    SSH > Preferred SSH protocol version: 2
    Tunnels> Forwarded ports: localhost port 3225 to Destination
    mail.myserver.com:25

    When I try testing the connection in Outlook it returns an error saying
    that Outlook cannot connect to the server. I know that out our outbound
    WAN connection is blocking outbound port 25 traffic and I was hoping that
    I could get around that via SSH forwarding. Firewalls can't peer into the
    tunneled packet headers, can they? Help!

    Cheers,
    DTS

    Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
    any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
    to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
    Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
    pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
    of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
    Visit us at:
    http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html

    • Re: OpenSSH 3.4p1 port forwarding problem
      ... > I am attempting to setup port forwarding of port 1680 over the SSH ... The connection has been closed." ... > debug: Entering interactive session. ...
      (comp.unix.sco.misc)
    • Re: Openssh Port Forwarding Confusion
      ... >Now for my Port forwarding question. ... So far what I have extracted about ssh port ... You connect to a port on the SSH client. ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • UPDATE: Re: Question regarding SSH via Lantronix SCS100
      ... to do SSH and to authenticate the SSH connection with a local ... unexpectedly closed connection'. ... CONSOLE or AUX port on the router, or does it matter, and what ...
      (comp.dcom.sys.cisco)
    • Re: SSH options re: NAT
      ... No, SSH is two-fold, a call to it on the client side results in a call ... port, meaning that any connections that come into that port are answered ... programming practice for daemons) Once the connection is established, ... don't want to execute a command on the remote side and you use -N. ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • port forwarding source address
      ... The SSH encrypted connection itself can be bound to a specific IP address ... Port forwarding can bind to a specific address on the listening host, ...
      (comp.security.ssh)