Re: Disaster Recovery Plan

From: Matthew Crape (ka55ad_at_gmail.com)
Date: 06/23/04

    Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 16:00:16 -0400
    To: "Holmes, Brian" <brian.holmes@corelab.com>

    Thanks for the response. I was looking for software and so forth to
    use. I would like to have something like a Symantec Ghost server which
    can create a ghost image over the network nightly of all the servers,
    but the key would to be have no downtime. Right now we use Tapeware
    for the tape backup and it can make full backups when the systems are
    up and running. If I could find something very similar to image the
    hard drives onto a remote NAS or something, that would put my mind at
    ease. Lets face it, restoring an image created the night before is
    preferable to restoring a master tape, and then the differential. Just
    the time difference alone would presumably be beneficial.

    As far as hardware and OS goes - its all AMD machines running Win2k
    Server and a HP tape drive.

    On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 14:47:41 -0500, Holmes, Brian
    <brian.holmes@corelab.com> wrote:

    > What you described sounds more like a "backup strategy" which is
    > incorporated into a DRP. The DRP itself should be based on priority and
    > risk levels.
    >
    > 1st step:
    > Assess the computing environment and determine the acceptable risks
    > and/or downtime (e.g. how long the environment(s) could remain down w/o
    > significantly affecting the business?)
    >
    > 2nd step:
    > Document all the information required to "rebuild" the systems:
    > hardware, software, applications, system configuration, licenses, etc...
    >
    > 3rd step:
    > Prioritize the system restoration process, i.e. what systems should be
    > up first, etc... Since some systems are required to operate other
    > systems, consider this (e.g. must restore OS before loading Apps)
    >
    > Note: Make sure to include the process for restoring the data - the
    > person who normally does this may not be available in a disaster, so
    > write clear and concise instructions.
    >
    > 4th step:
    > Test the plan...
    >
    > Attempt to justify the costs of implementing and testing a solid DRP by
    > quantifying financial loss to management. For example, if the data
    > center was flooded, the company would lose all computing for 4 days. Due
    > to the nature of our business, this could costs us over $1,000,000.
    > Therefore, it is in our best interests to invest in a solid DRP.
    >

    > Brian Holmes
    > IT Business Analyst
    > Core Laboratories
    > phone: (713) 328-2679
    > fax: (713) 328-2901
    > bholmes@corelab.com

    • Re: Fadal 3016 with 32MP control questions........... 2nd try
      ... server, and two identical DVD's. ... I can make an instant image without touching the "master" ... How's that for paranoid redundancy;>) ????? ... because the tape drive was ...
      (alt.machines.cnc)
    • Re: SMB Browser Election Thread (Was: Case for an occasional system refresh or clean install)
      ... My Samba experiences are quite old, ... master, and it usually always would be (could be messed up if I ever had ... someone bring a Windows 2000 server to the LAN). ... ## Tim: I am the master... ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: Taking over Operations Master / DC roles
      ... > that with the exception of the Single Master Roles." ... my gameplan is to get the server updated and all info copied... ... Get the DNS setup and all my other odds and ends to the point that they are ... >> mapped install directory, and a time server. ...
    • Re: the new GDP box set: Winterland 73.
      ... Preorders get a bonus disc featuring 12/4/73 II and ... Kidd employed a mic split which permitted a different mix to tape than that to the PA system, with minimal processing allowing the clearest possible signal path to tape. ... We have attempted to preserve this excellent recording by using current technology to enhance its fidelity as never before. ... The first step in this process was to transfer the original analog master tapes to a digital format. ...
      (rec.music.gdead)
    • Re: Antal =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Dor=E1ti_Centenary_Society_and_?= =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Pristine_C
      ... Are the master tapes in a given case 1) in good enough condition to be better than a pristine LP and 2) licensable at a price which makes the endeavor commercially viable? ... We simply don't generate the sales on any particular recording to pay for licencing, as I've mentioned here in the past. ... Not the master tape, I grant you, but given the quality of the source material I was provided with, I'd be very surprised to find any great difference in quality from the master. ...
      (rec.music.classical.recordings)