Windows patch mgmt.

From: bob martin (bobmartin_613_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 06/15/04

    To: security-basics@securityfocus.com
    Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 09:40:56 -0500

    Hello all.
    Basic patching question for you.

    We have a small environment (approx. 300 desktops and 50 servers) and the
    question has come up how do we test all desktops/servers after a windows
    patch has been installed. Given that the networking/desktop team consists
    of 6 people, I'm a bit stumped on how we can do this efficiently. We use
    St. Benard's Update Expert to push out the patches and to verify they've
    been installed.

    Currently we push to a QA environment and let it soak for a week or two
    while it's being used for it's normal functions. The concern is if the
    server isn't being used for testing, then we may push a patch to a
    production server without it being "tested."

    Any suggestions would be very welcomed. Any more, there's so many windows
    patches that it's almost a full time job for one person to manage them.

    Thanks.
    Bob

    Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
    any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
    to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
    Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
    pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
    of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
    Visit us at:
    http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html

    • Re: Virus in microsoft Patch
      ... "Windows must restart because the Remote Procedure Call ... your system and install the patch mentioned above. ... You can also configure Automatic Updates to automatically ...
    • Re: Is running a patch that changes something in Windows XP permis
      ... again for a Microsoft MVP: I have been trying to understand what the ... Windows XP versions before SP2 the system was recognised as SP2 RC1. ... > some things to quote here that tell us that the patch probably does not ... > change the value of TcpNumConnections in the registry and that there isn't ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • Re: Daylight Savings Time 2007 and Windows 2000 Server...
      ... Joe Richards Microsoft MVP Windows Server Directory Services ... support older versions of their software as well as Microsoft. ... patch for this problem but to also thoroughly test it and develop the ...
    • Re: CONFIG_VFAT_FS_DUALNAMES regressions
      ... The patch only changes the values stored for new files created by ... A filesystem is intact when all of its metadata is intact. ... in a virtual machine I connected it to the windows update service to ... see if there had been updates to the old install images I had, ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • Re: Learning process
      ... a million users on Windows would be ... Most of the patches are fixes for problems in security and a lot of ... pile of games or the SQL blaster which required 2 patchs - patch 1, ... holes *aren't* patched almost immediately. ...
      (alt.comp.lang.learn.c-cpp)