Re: antivirus for linux

From: Ranjeet Shetye (ranjeet.shetye2_at_zultys.com)
Date: 06/18/04

    Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 18:22:00 -0700
    To: security-basics@securityfocus.com

    Open-source: Clam-AV

    http://clamav.sourceforge.net/

    "Clam AntiVirus is a GPL anti-virus toolkit for UNIX. The main purpose
    of this software is the integration with mail servers (attachment
    scanning). The package provides a flexible and scalable multi-threaded
    daemon, a command line scanner, and a tool for automatic updating via
    Internet. The programs are based on a shared library distributed with the
    Clam AntiVirus package, which you can use with your own software. Most
    importantly, the virus database is kept up to date."

    clamscan -i -r / - scans the entire tree, showing only infected files.

    freshclam - refreshes the database.

    HTH

    * Iain Thomson (Iain_Thomson@vnu.co.uk) wrote:

    > Network Associates has a Linux server AV package and Symantec are bringing
    > one out 'this year'. Don't know what's out there for personal users.
    >
    > Iain
    >

    > Bruno França dos
    > Reis To: security-basics@securityfocus.com
    > <brunoreis@terra. cc:
    > com.br> Subject: antivirus for linux
    >
    > 15/06/2004 20:24
    >

    > Hello guys
    >
    > I'm kinda new to linux, and getting more and more worried about security. I
    > was wondering: is it necessary for me to have an anti-virus application? If
    > so, is it a "live scanner", like the ones I know for windows?
    >
    > Do you recommend using an anti-virus software? If so, which?
    >
    > Moreover, I have a linux firewall. Is there any way for me to detect virus
    > activity trying either to break into a computer (like Sasser or others like
    > it) or to detect incoming mail with virus? Note: my firewall isn't my mail
    > server. I was wondering if it could sniff connections to pop mail servers
    > and
    > detect virus code.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Bruno Reis
    >

    > VNU BUSINESS PUBLICATIONS LIMITED (VNU) 32-34 Broadwick Street, London,
    > W1A 2HG Tel: +44 (0) 20 7316 9000  Fax: +44 (0) 20 7316 9003 This e-mail
    > is confidential and is intended for the use of the addressee only. If you
    > are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use or
    > dissemination of this communication or any part of it is strictly
    > prohibited. If you receive this transmission in error, please notify VNU
    > immediately using the contact details above and then delete this e-mail.
    > Please note that e-mail may be susceptible to data corruption, interception
    > and unauthorised amendment. VNU does not accept any liability for any such
    > corruption, interception, amendment or the consequences thereof.

    > Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
    > any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
    > to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
    > Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
    > pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
    > of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
    > Visit us at:
    > http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html

    Ranjeet Shetye
    Senior Software Engineer
    Zultys Technologies
    Ranjeet dot Shetye at Zultys dot com
    http://www.zultys.com/

    The views, opinions, and judgements expressed in this message are solely those of
    the author. The message contents have not been reviewed or approved by Zultys.