Re: Novice asks "OpenBSD best firewall?"

From: T Shawn Knisely (shawn_at_knisely.org)
Date: 06/15/04

    Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 11:01:38 -0400
    To: Tim McGuigan <timst4@hotmail.com>

    Tim McGuigan wrote:

    > Hi I am putting together a network in a large house/dormitory. I am going to
    > be running some internet apps. Is OpenBSD the best option to use for a
    > firewall? Is there any purchaseable firewall software that I can buy that works
    > well and will save time (I'm also not footing the bill for this, so price isn't
    > as much of a factor)? McAfee Firewall seems so gumby, but I'm not sure about
    > OpenBSD.
    >
    > Thanks for any help in advance.

    > Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
    > any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
    > to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
    > Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
    > pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
    > of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
    > Visit us at:
    > http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html

    I personally use and advocate the use of Astaro Linux for a firewall
    solution. They make a home user license available for free. It is easy
    to setup and configure and provides a lot more than just a firewall.
    http://www.astaro.com

    Good luck,

    Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
    any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
    to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
    Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
    pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
    of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
    Visit us at:
    http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html

    • RE: Comcast Cable Setup Security Issue
      ... your firewall, then they can direct you to contact the right party. ... >> the Comcast cable network. ... > Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. ... > pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: Novice asks "OpenBSD best firewall?"
      ... OpenBSD is an operating system, not a firewall. ... > Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. ... > pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: Legal? Road Runner proactive scanning.
      ... relay checking. ... I think it's time to block 'em at the firewall, ... > Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. ... > pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • RE: firewall setup
      ... 1- Check your 3 boxes have the FW as their GW (assuming internal FW's NIC ... >firewall and still keep their names. ... >Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. ... >pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: firewall setup
      ... If you're using a Linux firewall I suggest leaving the ... > Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. ... > pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. ... to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. ...
      (Security-Basics)