Information Security Knowledge Overload - Swimming in a sea of whitepapers.

From: Blake Wiedman (bwiedman_at_iconsinc.com)
Date: 06/04/04

    To: <security-basics@securityfocus.com>
    Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 13:35:52 -0400

    List,

    As a security consultant and long time administrator I have amassed a
    huge collection of vulnerability announcements, whitepapers, product
    manuals, ebooks, personel case studies, product reviews, research
    papers, and notes. As this has grown into the multiple gig folder size
    I am at the point where finding the info I need has become a timely
    task. I was wondering how my peers are handling the mass of information
    I know you are collecting. Is there a product, organization method, or
    tribal ritual <grin> you are using to datamine/find what you are looking
    for. I know a lot of products exist but most are for the enterprise or
    are only web enabled. As any consultant knows its better to be self
    sustained then require a net connection on a client site. Does anyone
    have a personnel product recommendation or method they use to keep track
    of it all. Windows or Linux is fine, free or commercial I am at home in
    both and open to ideas.

    Blake

    Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
    any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
    to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
    Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
    pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
    of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
    Visit us at:
    http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html