Bypassing quarantine with ADS formatted filenames

From: Jack Cullen (jack_cullen_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 06/04/04

    To: security-basics@securityfocus.com
    Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 11:46:42 -0400

    Is it possible to get file attachments past AV software by using alternate
    data stream type filenames?
    We have set McAfee GroupShield to quarantine all .zip files yet several
    people have received messages with .zip attachments that came in the
    following formats:

    The attachment 'Informations.zip:Informations.txt'
    -or-
    The attachment 'sample01.zip:data.rtf
                                        .scr'

    Get fast, reliable Internet access with MSN 9 Dial-up now 3 months FREE!

    Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
    any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
    to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
    Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
    pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
    of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
    Visit us at:
    http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html