Re: ARP spoofing attacks

From: Matthias Vallentin (x_at_pi-cubiq.de)
Date: 04/16/04

    Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 22:18:34 +0200
    To: security-basics@securityfocus.com

    you can't enable port-security on access points (wlan), can you? how can you protect yourself again wireless arp cache poisoning? once an attacker is associated with the network, he can sniff all the traffic and perform arp-attacks and put himself in a MITM-position...
    would a strong authentication be a solution for this problem?

    greetings,

    matthias

    * Chris Moody <cmoody@qualcomm.com> [Wed, 14 Apr 2004 16:32:16 -0700 (PDT)]:

    > The best way i know of thus far is to enable "port security" in some form
    > or another. Cisco switches can lock the port down to only allow a certain
    > MAC. If you spoof...the port drops.
    >
    > Arpwatch and a NIDS can also watch for this type of traffic...but it is
    > spotty and requires the architecture/heirarchy to be setup correctly for
    > it to work properly.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > -Chris
    >

    > On Wed, 14 Apr 2004, Amit Agrawal wrote:
    >

    > > Hi
    > > I have a question...How do u secure
    > > against ARP spoofing attacks...If
    > > not the whole subnet...I want to be
    > > sure that no one spoofs the IP of
    > > my gateway.
    > >
    > > Amit
    > >

    > > --
    > > ()
    > > 3-| |!-| c|

    > > Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
    > > any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
    > > to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
    > > Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
    > > pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
    > > of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
    > > Visit us at:
    > > http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html

    > Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
    > any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
    > to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
    > Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
    > pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
    > of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
    > Visit us at:
    > http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html

    Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
    any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
    to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
    Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
    pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
    of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
    Visit us at:
    http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html

    • Re: exposure to bootable Linux distros
      ... If you like PHLAK, you'll love Knoppix-STD (Security ... >> pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. ... >> of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • RE: GOTOMYPC Corporate?
      ... and have recommended it to clients because it is a reliable and simple method to circumvent firewalls an NAT boundaries for outside remote access. ... >> pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. ... >> of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: Which Windows OS is Safest
      ... > I think just standardizing on one OS goes the most distance to achieving a ... >> pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. ... >> of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • RE: GOTOMYPC Corporate?
      ... Subject: GOTOMYPC Corporate? ... >> pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. ... >> of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: strange httpd error log response
      ... Gautam R. Singh ... >> pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. ... >> of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization. ...
      (Security-Basics)