Re: Secure host newbie

From: Xilo Musimene (xilopublic1_at_ca.inter.net)
Date: 04/02/04

    Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 18:20:05 -0500
    To: Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers <bugtraq@planetcobalt.net>

    > Firewalling (even packet filtering) is a very complex topic and I
    > seriously doubt you will be able to cover it in just a few days. A few
    > months at least is much more likely.
    >
    > I guess you are going to use iptables, so I would recommend [1] as an
    > introduction into how iptables works. But you will also need thorough
    > knowledge of how networking (i.e. TCP/IP) works to fully understand what
    > you are doing (which I would strongly recommend since there are already
    > enough rooted boxes out there).
    >
    > [1] http://www.netfilter.org/

    I've already used iptables for a long time when my computer was used as
    a host. I learned a great deal and now I know even much more about
    TCP/IP and I understand what I would like to do with iptables.
    Considering a hacker can use flags to desynchronize any kind of monitor,
    to overlap fragments to confuse monitors, etc... I'll take all I read
    into consideration before trying to gain any kind of experience.

    Thanks a lot for the reference, I've been looking for the official
    documentation!

    Thanks,
       Simon

    Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
    any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
    to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
    Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
    pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
    of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
    Visit us at:
    http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html

    • RE: Removing Local Admin Rights...
      ... Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. ... to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. ... Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field ... pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • RE: HIPAA_Compliance
      ... Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. ... to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. ... Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field ... pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • RE: Cisco CSA
      ... Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. ... to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. ... Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field ... pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • RE: Minimum password requirements
      ... Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. ... to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. ... Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field ... pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Betr.: RE: fax software in the domain
      ... Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. ... to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. ... pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. ... Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field ...
      (Security-Basics)