Re: Secure host newbie

From: Vincent (pros-n-cons_at_bak.rr.com)
Date: 03/31/04

Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 18:12:49 -0800
To: security-basics@securityfocus.com

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 15:04:21 +0000 (US/Eastern)
xilopublic1@ca.inter.net wrote:

> Hi there,

Hi

> I'm going to put a host on the internet in a day or two, it will be closed to public
> during the development stage. We
> have a lot of services to setup and I was wondering about security issues for each of
> these services. We will be
> running this on a Redhat 7.3 base system.

RedHat 7.3 is discontinued next month. Red Hat is pushing thier Enterprise
line of servers now. If there is money in the budget you should have a look. 5
years guarnteed support and very significant upgrades from the 7.x line. Because
It's been discontinued Other companys have stepped in to handle the transition of
upgrades for those who were slow http://transition.progeny.com/ They will provide
you updates for a fee.

> The services we will have are HTTP (Apache), private FTP, SSH access, POP server for our
> users, SMTP for users
> that would have to use ours, SSL for secure money transactions, might have news server,
> might have a MP3 stream
> server and will have home-made servers for home-made clients.

You will _need_ updates for those services and probably will in the future aswell

> Now, before I ask you guys a whole lot of newbie questions, I would like to read good
> documents on these topics.
> Howtos, documentation, tutorials, books, all kinds of references are appreciated,
> especially if I can get them free!
> (Since our budget is extremely limited).

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.3-Manual/
There you will find the online manuals for RHL 7.3 such as installation
and customization.

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/
These are for the enterprise line as you can see its _much_ more informative
most of the stuff here is mostly applicapable with 7.3 but don't quote it verbatim.

http://www.tldp.org/LDP/solrhe/Securing-Optimizing-Linux-RH-Edition-v1.3/
That was written around 7.3 days. Good security runthrough.

Relevant Pages

  • RE: New Update for #70-299
    ... > Segment A contains a single server named TestKing1. ... > Segment B contains all other computers, ... > TestKing?s written security policy states that Segment B ... > Updates on all computers in Segment B to use ...
    (microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse)
  • IIS Out of Process Pooled Applications Security
    ... Recently one of the following windows updates / hotfixes for my Windows 2000 ... Server, altered the security settings of my "IIS Out of Process Pooled ... The account that was displayed was the IWAM_machine account, ... Is there anything wrong in making the security for Out of Process Pooled ...
  • Re: Redhat 7.2 server lose IP address by itself
    ... >> static DHCP based on MAC addresses. ... So the server can hold on to the ... it is a security issue. ... security updates (including the kernel updates: ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: find patches for new W2k3 Svr install
    ... This site has list of all patches... ... Security Updates ... Microsoft MVP - Windows Security ... The server is at remote. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.setup)
  • security-basics Digest of: get.123_145
    ... VPN to ASP a security risk? ... Re: Multiple IPSec tunnels? ... Subject: Security NT Server ... VPN to ASP a security risk? ...
    (Security-Basics)