Re: Secure host newbie

From: Matt Taylor (mtaylor_at_clippercitynetworks.com)
Date: 03/30/04

    To: xilopublic1@ca.inter.net
    Date: 30 Mar 2004 13:44:20 -0500

    There are many, many security issues for each of the services that you
    are going to be using. First of all, you need to consider whether or
    not you are going to use the default kernel for 7.3, which some consider
    to be rather buggy. If the underlying OS is buggy, then all your
    security work would be for naught anyway. I would strongly suggest
    using a new version of RH that comes with a more robust kernel.

    Without knowing more about each of the processes you are running it's
    hard to recommend anything to you. What Apache version are you running?
    Are you going to use Sendmail? Lots to be concerned about.

    Your email did not mention anything about a firewall? If you are going
    to hang this poor box out 'sans' firewall, then keeping it secure is
    going to be a hard task.

    I suggest getting a good book on RedHat security from Amazon. Even if
    you are on a tight budget, it's money well spent.

    - Matthew Taylor

    On Mon, 2004-03-29 at 10:04, xilopublic1@ca.inter.net wrote:
    > Hi there,
    > I'm going to put a host on the internet in a day or two, it will be closed to public
    > during the development stage. We
    > have a lot of services to setup and I was wondering about security issues for each of
    > these services. We will be
    > running this on a Redhat 7.3 base system.
    >
    > The services we will have are HTTP (Apache), private FTP, SSH access, POP server for our
    > users, SMTP for users
    > that would have to use ours, SSL for secure money transactions, might have news server,
    > might have a MP3 stream
    > server and will have home-made servers for home-made clients.
    >
    > Now, before I ask you guys a whole lot of newbie questions, I would like to read good
    > documents on these topics.
    > Howtos, documentation, tutorials, books, all kinds of references are appreciated,
    > especially if I can get them free!
    > (Since our budget is extremely limited).
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Simon

    > Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
    > any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
    > to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
    > Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
    > pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
    > of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
    > Visit us at:
    > http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html

    • RE: PacketShaper
      ... we're deploying these along with firewalls in our managed security ... >>Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. ... >>Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of ... >>pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. ...
      (Pen-Test)
    • Re: Password trading problem
      ... > I'm in charge of doing a security review of it. ... > e-mail and any attachments is strictly prohibited. ... > Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. ... > pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • RE: securing password list
      ... What security methods do you use to secure a list such as this? ... > Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. ... > pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • RE: Online Universities with Information Security Programs
      ... Online Universitties with Information Security Programs ... > Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. ... > pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • RE: Comparison of Yahoo v. MSN Messenger from security standpoint
      ... Onderwerp: RE: Comparison of Yahoo v. MSN Messenger from security standpoint ... > Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. ... > pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. ...
      (Security-Basics)