Buffer Overflow Return Addresses

luck____at_hotmail.com
Date: 03/29/04

    Date: 29 Mar 2004 17:37:20 -0000
    To: security-basics@securityfocus.com

    Hi hope someone could help me with a question I have. Why do many buffer overflow sploits use the %esp before the program has run as the return address? If im not wrong then the idea is to return into the buffer (preferable near the start) but the %esp before the program is run becomes %ebp during program execution and this is after the buffer in the stack? Would it not be better to return to (%esp before) - (length of buffer) which should place you at the start of the buffer assuming buffer is the first local variable to be declared (stack grows to lower addresses) This is really confusing me after i thought id got my head round it.

    Thanks

    S Walker

    Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
    any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
    to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
    Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
    pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
    of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
    Visit us at:
    http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html

    • RE: Detection tool?
      ... Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. ... to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. ... Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • RE: Which Windows OS is Safest
      ... Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. ... All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. ... Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • VPN-SSL
      ... Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. ... to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. ... Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Ethernet TAPs
      ... Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. ... to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. ... Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field ...
      (Pen-Test)
    • how to save router config securely..