RE: Public Web server Help

From: Shawn Jackson (sjackson_at_horizonusa.com)
Date: 03/29/04

    Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 09:20:39 -0800
    To: "Andrew Shore" <andrew.shore@holistecs.com>, "Alexander Lukyanenko" <sashman@ua.fm>

    > OK this probably isn't over help full but I seen to think
    > that CHROOT may help lock users in.
    >
    > Please feel free to let me know if I'm talking crap ;)

    I heard chroot jail from a number of people. My past experiences with
    chroot jails (like for Amavisd/Postfix) have been that I need to make a
    copy of the file system (/bin, /sbin, /usr/bin...) in the chroot'ed jail
    for the program to access those files.

    Will a SSHd chroot jail work differently then a 'normal' chroot jail? I
    haven't set up the coffee IV yet, so this might not be clicking in my
    mind :-).

    Shawn Jackson
    Systems Administrator
    Horizon USA
    1190 Trademark Dr #107
    Reno NV 89521

    www.horizonusa.com
    Email: sjackson@horizonusa.com
    Phone: (775) 858-2338
           (800) 325-1199 x338

    Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
    any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
    to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
    Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
    pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
    of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
    Visit us at:
    http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html

    • Re: Need advice on setting of an SSH server for untrusted users
      ... > I've just set up an ssh server so that my customers can download code ... I've set up ssh so that it requires rsa authentication. ... There is a patch for openssh that will cause it to do a chroot like ... The issue with a chroot jail for ssh is that you have to hand-roll the ...
      (comp.os.linux.security)
    • Re: Linux chroot
      ... chroot jail natively. ... Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, Dedicated & Semi-Dedicated servers ...
      (comp.os.linux.security)
    • Re: Desktop user: Etch or the next testing?
      ... >> Douglas Allan Tutty wrote: ... I know there is chroot jail ... >> one can run a whole Debian operating system in a chroot jail. ... If I have another physical disk, I'd rather put backups on it. ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: SSH and restricting to a chroot jail
      ... chroot to the desired directory. ... chdir to the home directory within the chroot jail. ... the jail and be used as the users default shell. ... or the entry in /etc/passwd should have the UID ...
      (comp.os.linux.security)
    • Re: chroot and BIND
      ... Subject: chroot and BIND ... It doesn't appear you actually need /etc/TIMEZONE in your chroot jail as ... but with a jail directory that looked more like 1). ...
      (Focus-SUN)