RE: Wireless access

From: Kelly Jones (kellyjones_at_worldonline.co.uk)
Date: 03/26/04

    To: <security-basics@securityfocus.com>
    Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 07:52:21 -0000

    Most if not all wireless hardware allows you to accept or deny connections
    based on Mac address. It is easily possible to spoof a Mac address but you
    would obviously need to know which mac address to spoof. With the highest
    level of Wep enabled and a strong key this would be very difficult. Which
    wiresless router were you thinking of using?

    From: "Bruyere, Michel" <mbruyere@ezemcanada.com>
    To: security-basics@securityfocus.com
    Subject: Wireless access
    Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 08:36:05 -0500

    Hi,
            I have a user who uses a wireless network at home. He just asked me
    (it's a director) to find a way to avoid his laptop (Toshiba tecra running
    XP Pro) connecting on the neighbor's router instead of his. He has a D-Link
    614+, I don't know this model at all so I'm asking you guys if you know a
    way to restrict his laptop to only HIS router.

    As you can see, I'm not very familiar with Wireless :/

    Thanks for any inputs

    M.Bruyere
    Network/systems administrator
    CompTIA A+, Network+

    Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
    any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
    to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
    Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
    pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the
    skills
    of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
    Visit us at:
    http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html

    Get rid of annoying pop-up ads with the new MSN Toolbar FREE!

    Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
    any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
    to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
    Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
    pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the
    skills
    of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
    Visit us at:
    http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html

    ---