RE: MS Outlook/Outlook Express Preview Pane Security Issue?

From: Justin F. Knox (jknox_at_indexzero.org)
Date: 03/26/04

    To: <security-basics@securityfocus.com>
    Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 19:15:13 -0500

    >>Is there any security/privacy risk in enabling the preview pane in
    Microsoft
    >>Outlook and Outlook Express even when latest patches are installed?
    >
    >I'd say yes, because it's still unsecured even with the latest round of
    >patches. Now Outlook 2003's preview pane won't download images or render
    >script, unless you turn it on. For that I'd still say no, but I've been
    >testing it out and haven't had a problem yet. I just use Auto Preview in
    >Outlook, work ok and renders in plain text.

    I'd have to agree here. On any installation of Outlook that I'm to use, the
    first thing to turn off is the preview pane. Simply because it renders
    everything (or just about...). Very dangerous. It kind of defeats the
    purpose of telling your users not to open e-mails with 'blah' for an
    attachment if their MUA does it for them.

    just my $0.02.

    --Justin

    Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
    any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
    to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
    Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
    pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
    of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
    Visit us at:
    http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html

    • Running Outlook 2003 on Windows 2003 Terminal Services server...
      ... That user was able to run Outlook 2003 on our 2003 Terminal ... Server without needing to be a member of the administrators group. ... Running Outlook 2003 on Windows 2003 Terminal Services ... should have put TS into "install mode" while the installation ran. ...
    • Re: Running Outlook 2003 on Windows 2003 Terminal Services server...
      ... That user was able to run Outlook 2003 on our 2003 Terminal ... Server without needing to be a member of the administrators group. ... Running Outlook 2003 on Windows 2003 Terminal Services ... should have put TS into "install mode" while the installation ran. ...
    • Re: All messages deleted
      ... Cannot Open E-Mail Attachments in Outlook Express After You Install SP1 ... affect the ability of your antivirus software to block infections. ... Windows 2000 and Windows XP. ... Most of the problems with a faulty installation are due to other programs ...
    • Re: OE Vey!!
      ... I use OE 6.0 and have Windows Me. ... Cannot Open E-Mail Attachments in Outlook Express After You Install SP1 ... affect the ability of your antivirus software to block infections. ... Most of the problems with a faulty installation are due to other programs ...
    • Re: XP- internet explorer 6+Outlook Express
      ... Cannot Open E-Mail Attachments in Outlook Express After You Install SP1 ... Go to Windows Update and get the latest IE security patch and that should ... affect the ability of your antivirus software to block infections. ... Most of the problems with a faulty installation are due to other programs ...